January, 2005

Immediately after are return to Portland I had the 35mm film from the trip developed and scanned, and transfered the digital camera images to disk and quickly organized a page to hold all of the raw images while I wrote up the trip report.

You may be wondering why it took over three years before I even began working on the report. In late December of 2001, as I was stitching together some of the composite wide shots from the trip, I began to feel a little dizzy. By the end of that day I could not walk. By the next morning I could not stand even while holding onto something solid, and could barely crawl about on all fours. The next day found me at the hospital where it was discovered I had a severe inner ear infection, which at least wasn't serious, although it was very painful and disorienting. I missed two weeks of work, and it took still another two weeks on top of that before I could walk properly again. A full month after I had first felt the signs of dizziness, I still had residual bouts of discomfort. And for some reason I associated this illness with the trip (perhaps because it felt much like our ordeal during the typhoon), and so with that unpleasant association I let the images, hand outs, notes, and other documentation from this vacation sit in a box untouched for three years. Time heals all wounds -- even those imagined -- and so in December of 2004 I picked up where I had left off in 2001, and these pages are the result.

We will continue to make updates over time as we add sub titles to the photos in the image galleries, fix typos and misspelled words, and discover the missing journal that holds the lion share of our thoughts and impressions from our journey.

We look back fondly over our Antarctic vacation, and we especially remembered how well the staff and crew of our ship, the Clipper Adventurer performed.
While the excursions were not as physically challenging as we would have liked, they were all fun, educational, and even awe inspiring. We highly recommend Clipper Cruises to anyone looking for a similar trip, but with one caveat: opt out of any of the pre and post trip land excursions (those not involving the ship's staff) -- we found these to be painfully touristy and not worth the extra expense.

Our total cost for this vacation, including the Everglades side trip and all other extra expenses associated with the journey (like private bird guides and eating out on our own), came to about $10,000 each. Was Antarctica worth it? Yes. We can't wait to go back.

I have used the rest of this page to display the various bits of information and images that didn't fit well elsewhere. Feel free to contact us if you have questions about the trip, or comments about this trip report.

With warm regards,

Leonard Bottleman  and  Elayne Barclay


Officers of the Clipper Adventurer
Captain Alexander Golubev
Chief Officer Philipp Fieckmann
Safety Officer Andiry Domanin
Navigation Officer Juhn Bancud
Chief Engineer Graeme Watson
1st Engineer Joe Belotendos
2nd Engineer Romeo Gabales
3rd Engineer Martin Pabalinas
1st Electrical Officer Jimmy Abuan
Radio Officer Lito Sabaria
Hotel Manager Al Glazunov
Purser Karin Wallace
Executive Chef Rob Whiteley
Assistant Hotel Manager Jaquelyn Bouchard
Doctor Dr. Carl Dannaeus
Expedition Staff
Expedition Leader Julio Preller
Cruise Director Sharon Webster
Assistant Cruise Director Jennifer Meyer
Expedition Staff J.J. Apestegui
Simon Cook
David Dallmeyer
John Harrison
Tony Dorr
Rick Price
Martin Schulz
Ignacio Rojas
Clipper Adventurer
Ship Statistics
Length overall 330 feet
Beam width 53.5 feet
Draft 15 feet
GRT 4,364 tons
Ice class Lloyds 100 1A
Country of Registry Bahamas
Cruising speed 14 knots
Ship's Daily Newsletter
Page 1 Page 2

Return to Chapter 10 Return to the Index